At the time that David met the family, we were pretty serious. We didn't keep it from them at all. We all realized that it is important that my family "meet" David via Skype. The date was set, the computers were ready, and we were all excited! Well, we give my family a call. And up the pop on our screen. There's my Dad! With....two GUNS over his shoulders. He looks menacing! What the heck, I had NOT prepared David for this. I had calmly explained to him my family's values. I had told him that my family is always accepting. That they respect my decisions and love whoever I introduce them to. He was nervous to meet them as it is...and here's my dad on screen with two guns! I didn't even know he OWNED guns! My dad states, "oh Allie and David it's you! I just wanted to show you, David, my gun collection. They're pretty great...this one is a *insert name of gun here, I was so shocked that I didn't pay attention...and I know nothing about guns anyway* and this one is a *insert some other gun information that I didn't even know my dad knew* and this is my favorite! You see this scope? And it is accurate within 200 yards. *I think I remember this aspect because David looks at me like he was considering how fast he could run 200 yards away from me*. Sigh, that's my dad....who knew? Then he looks at the screen and starts laughing. I notice then that David is laughing too. I think while Dad was going through these things I was objecting at every sentence, although I don't remember. After this occurrence a normal family conversation ensued. With tons of laughter, a lot of making fun of each other, tons of showing of affection, a great conversation about our dogs (which we were shown each one. Sushi, grandma's dog has gotten so fat). We talked about my brother David's creeper 'stache and how different he looks with it. My sister demanded attention (I have soft skin too! *inside family joke*) Mom assured David (fiancé) the whole time that Dad was kidding. Dad laughed and brought in some interview questions for David. It was a terrifying experience for David and I both. In the end, David decided that I was still worth the scary experience, shotgun and all. I'm certainly glad that he did!!
No comments:
Post a Comment