Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Oh You Know, Just Camping With Some Bears!

     As most of you know, this weekend was Memorial Day Weekend.  Which means that the nation decided to celebrate those who have given their lives to this country.  Let me just say at the beginning: thank you!  It's because of you that we have the freedom that we enjoy today.  Many people see this holiday as an opportunity to enjoy this free land that we have and do outdoorsy things.  Well, we are no different.  It was time we went camping!  We got some friends together and decided to make it a real holiday and work more than we actually relaxed!  Because it was so impromptu, we ended up setting up a tent in the dark.  Well, as David and I use our great communicative skills and set up a tent with our one and only flashlight (which makes things a little more difficult when there are two people trying to set up a tent), our wonderful friend Skyler is making everyone some dinner.  We were intensely setting up the tent, actually having tons of success and hear a noise...."HUFF!! HUFF!!"  I hear it, and I look at David.  By the fear showing in his eyes, I know that he's heard it too.  We are silent and then we hear the noise closer! "HUFF!!  HUFF!!" Holy crap!  I've been to enough zoos to know a bear's noise when I hear it!  I ask David, "You heard it right?"  He responds by running towards the campfire...with our only flashlight!  I book it too!  Holy crap!  Once we get to the campfire, I look back to protect myself.  Out comes Skyler from behind our newly pitched tent, smiling contentedly.  I am about to yell and warn him that there's a bear back there, but I notice by his smile that something funny just happened.  I realize with perturbed happiness that it must have been him making those noises. 
Well, I was not amused! Well, I kinda was.  Especially when Skyler explained that there just aren't any bears here in this secret camping spot of his.  Sure....well, you bet I made sure that the boys slept with a hatchet and knife close by.  I slept with my throat ready to scream for them to come and save me! The next morning, David and I decide to take a morning stroll.  As we're walking by the creek right behind our tent we hear a branch crack.  We look over the creek, about 20 feet away, to see what made the noise and we see a black bear!  Yup, there's a black bear...running away from us. 
     We were both so happy to see it running in its majestic beauty that we didn't stop to think of the dangers.  I guess things are much less scary in the daylight...when things are known.  It was an exciting experience.  Skyler was upset that he was asleep and didn't get to see the bear.  I think it serves him right for scaring us then telling me there are no bears in that area.  Sure there are no bears in that area!  Good thing we made sure to keep all of the food in the car!!  And what an amazing once in a lifetime moment...Seeing a bear in the wild.  What a great memorial day weekend!

1 comment: